The Foundation for Australian Studies in China (FASIC) is pleased to administer the BHP Australia China Scholarship (the Scholarship). The Scholarship has been established to encourage and assist students and young professionals to pursue postgraduate and doctoral study, research and experience in priority areas of interest in the bilateral Australia-China relationship. The Scholarship is given to encourage students and young professionals to study in China (or Australia) in the following priority areas of interest:
• Sustainability, including climate change, carbon capture storage, low emissions technology, biodiversity, water stewardship
• Governance, including corporate and local community governance, International Regulatory Systems
• Economic policy – Free Trade
• Women in leadership
• Australian Studies, with the scholarship awarded in this discipline to be known as the BHP David Walker Scholarship in Australian Studies
The Scholarship is administered by FASIC and funding has been generously provided by BHP Group Limited. The Scholarship can have a value of up to A$60,000 per annum and may be payable for up to three years, depending on the successful applicant's course of study. The scholarship is structured to reimburse accepted Scholars for tuition and designated expenses, up to a capped amount.
Scholarship expenses and duration will vary per award. Awards generally include funds to cover:
• a living allowance
• accommodation allowance
• one international travel to/from Australia or China
• full or partial tuition fees
• contingency funds
Applicants must be Australian citizens or have been granted Permanent Residency at the time of application. Applicants for the BHP David Walker Australian Studies Scholarship may be citizens of the People's Republic of China.
Applicants must have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate degree from an Australian or Chinese university and be planning to undertake postgraduate study at a Chinese university no later than in the calendar year following the year of the Applicant's Scholarship award.
A Selection Committee will consider the following criteria in assessing Applicants:
• Academic excellence (outstanding university results, such as honours degrees)
• Academic focus in areas of priority interest for the Scholarship program identified above
• Leadership skills
• Strong academic and community referees
• Commitment to the enhancement of the Australia China relationship
For Australian students, click here to download a copy of the application form.
For Chinese students, click here to download a copy of the application form